The screenshot is a full or partial picture taken of whatever is running on your screen. Taking screenshot is not difficult as many of you might think of, but the built-in options are perfect for basic tasks where many third-party programs also offer you a facility to ease your task of taking a screenshot.
You can take screenshots in Windows 10 using shortcuts and save it to your desired folder or to the clipboard and paste it in Microsoft Paint or any other app.
Here, you will learn different ways of taking screenshots in Windows 10.
Take screenshots using Windows 10
Windows 10 allows you to take screenshots of the full screen or an active window in various ways, these include:
- PrtScrn or Ctrl + PrtScrn, it is a keyboard shortcut which when pressed takes a screenshot of the entire screen to the clipboard and can be pasted on any app. It works with one or multiple displays.
- Windows key + PrtScrn, it is another keyboard shortcut to takes screenshot of the full screen and saves it as a file. All these files are saved in the Screenshots folder under the Picture folder.
- Alt + PrtScrn, this keyboard shortcut helps in taking a screenshot of an active window, it will then copied to the clipboard and enables you to paste it on any app you want.
Take screenshots using Snip & Sketch
Snip and Sketch is an app which is designed specifically to take screenshots on Windows 10, thus replacing the previously used snipping tool. Follow these steps to take a screenshot using the snip & sketch app.
- Click the Start button and search ‘Snip & Sketch’
- Select the top option from the list to open this app.
- Click on ‘New’ button available on the top-left corner of the Snip & Sketch window.
- Now, you need to select the type of snip from three available options, which include Rectangular Clip, Freeform Clip, and Fullscreen Clip.
- Make sure to select the right snip you want to use and take a screenshot
Take screenshots using Action Center
It is another method of taking a screenshot using Snip & Sketch but going through Action Center. It enables you to take a screenshot which you can paste on a document. Follow these steps using the new screen snip button.
- Press Windows key + A keyboard shortcut for opening Action Center or another way to open it by clicking the Action Center button in the Notification area.
- Once it is opened, you will see the ‘Expand’ button at the bottom.
- Now, click ‘Screen Snip’ option.
- You have to select the type of snip from three available options, which include Rectangular Clip, Freeform Clip, and Fullscreen Clip.
- Choose any snip you want and take a screenshot.
Take screenshots using the Snipping tool
Snipping tool is a part of Windows 10 which enables you to take screenshot pop-up menus and tooltips. You can use it for capturing a screenshot of an open window, rectangular area, any area or a full screen. It is done by following these steps.
- Press Windows key + Shift + S
- This keyboard shortcut prevents you from changing your settings and works in bringing up the screen snipping tool to capture a screenshot.
- Simply drag the mouse on the area you want to capture.
This shortcut was actually used to take a screenshot of any area of the screen using the snipping tool, but presently it has become a part of Snip & Sketch.
Take screenshots using Game Bar
Windows 10 also provides you a feature to take a screenshot of your favorite game simply by using its Game Bar feature. It enables you to capture your game whether you are in the middle of your gameplay or not. The Game Bar saves the screenshots in PNG format. You need to follow these steps if you want to take a screenshot while playing a game.
- Press the Start button and search for Game Bar.
- Now, select the top option to open the Game Bar.
The other ways to open the Game Bar are:
Press Windows key + G
Go to Settings, select Gaming option from the list and click on Game Bar from the left panel of the Gaming section.
- After opening Game Bar from any of the above methods, click on ‘Camera’ button which is available under the ‘Game capturing’ option.
- Once these steps are completed, the captured screenshot is saved as a .png file in the Screenshots folder.
One thing you should know that this method of taking screenshots is useful for games as well as some apps like Microsoft Edge, but it cannot be used for File Explorer or desktop.
Take screenshots using Microsoft Edge
You can use Microsoft Edge to take screenshots of any web page you are currently viewing. This screenshot can be saved to OneNote or can be shared with your friends or other people with the help of note feature. Follow these steps to capture screenshots of a website.
- Open Microsoft Edge and upload a website or a web page you want to take a screenshot of.
- Once it is opened, click ‘Add notes’ icon on the top-right corner of the toolbar.
- Now, click the ‘Save’ button.
- Next, to save it to OneNote, select ‘OneNote’ and save your screenshot by clicking the Save button.
- If you want to share with others via email or social network, click on the ‘Share’ button.
These ways of taking screenshots in Windows 10 will help you in easing your task of capturing anything on your screen, either entire screen or any particular area of it.
You can try any method which you think would be easiest for you as well as that best meet your need.