Technology has been a great boon for us. From being able to look at maps on our screen, creating designs for art and posters to booking flight tickets, we rely heavily on gadgets to get our work done. This has made it more and more difficult to avoid a screen for a long period. Be it an endless day at work or a movie marathon on Netflix over the weekend, looking at a screen for long hours is inevitable. This has caused many chronic conditions such as eye problems and Carpal Tunnel syndrome.
The main reason for eyes getting damaged by computer or mobile screens is the harmful light that the screen emits. To avoid this issue, Windows has introduced a dark mode that reduces the number of harmful rays emitted by the screen and helps you concentrate on your work for long hours without worrying about the adverse effects it has on your health.
The light theme is aimed at achieving the exact opposite result. It allows the computer screen to use more energy and emits harsher light. This allows the screen to look brighter and can be used in an outdoor environment on a sunny day without having to squint to read every letter.
The availability of these two modes and their contrasting yet useful characteristics, helps users take care of their eyes and protect them from damage as much as possible.
Light and Dark Mode on Windows 10 PC
Here is how you can alternate between light and dark mode on Windows 10 PC-
- Through the Settings
- Automatically Timed
- Toggle Through Shortcut
Through the Settings
This is the simplest way to switch between the light and dark mode in Windows 10. You can easily switch between themes by following these simple steps-
- Launch the Settings app and then click on the personalisation menu.
- Click on the option that reads ‘colour’.
- You will see a drop-down menu, choose your colour. This has three options- light, dark and custom.
- If you select the dark theme, your entire interface including the file explorer will turn dark.
- If you select the light theme, your entire interface including the shell will be light.
- The custom option allows you to selectively implement these changes.
This allows the user to make sure that they control and monitor all aspects of selecting a theme and can specify the applications and windows that you wish to see in the light or dark mode.
The second way to make sure that you can switch from dark to light mode according to your requirement. The theme should change per the amount of light available during the day and night, you can change your theme using auto-night mode.
Simply follow these instructions-
- Install Auto-Night mode application which is free and open-sourced.
- If a Windows Smartscreen warning pops up just click on ‘More Info’ and then ‘Run Anyway’.
- You will see a window which allows you to select a time for the light and dark theme to kick in.
- If you allow this application to use your location, it automatically determines the time of sunrise and sunset and selects the time to change the theme accordingly.
This method helps serve your purpose in the best possible manner by making the most of the themes and using them by their purpose and utility as well.
If you wanted to use a shortcut and find a way to switch between themes with a quick click, you’ve come to the right blog, here is how to create a quick shortcut to change the theme in your Windows 10 PC-
- Right-click on the icon of the application on your taskbar.
- Select the option that reads ‘pin on the taskbar’.
- Once you have selected this option, you can right-click on the application on your taskbar to see the options that will allow you to switch between themes.
This helps you save time and make sure that you can switch between themes without having to open a different interface or select between multiple options.
These themes are a great way to command how much blue light your computer screen emits and how much your eyes are affected by it. Go ahead and try these methods to utilise this new feature in Windows 10!